Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Letting Go with Ease (What we can Learn from Trees)


This season is the perfect trifecta of my favorite things:  Its Fall Season, bringing cool, crisp air and clear blue skies.  Its Scorpio season-  the spirit of the scorpion, eagle, and the phoenix. Its Football season (#takeaknee)- which in other years would fill Sundays with referee whistles, chicken wings and wine.    It's also the season of the Metal Element in Chinese Medicine.

 I look outside at the leaves changing- from bright reds and yellows to rusty browns.  I notice as they dance joyfully in the wind before finding a resting place on the earth.  A release that is effortless; full of ease and grace.

For some reason, my letting go is always just the opposite.  Full of struggle. Full of resistance. Full of angst and heartache.  Full of long and wailful moans to my besties: "BUT  WHHHHYYYYYY?"  With the creativity of my own mind, I become a tortured soul.  The withdrawal symptoms kick in: obsessive thoughts, irritiability, restlessness.

But... the leaves dance.

Its magical really, what happens in the Fall.  The tree is not pushing the leaves away.  In fact, the tree is simply doing what it must- bringing its energy, its attention, and its very life force inward.  Into its core, preparing to sink into its roots for the winter.  It knows that its true sustenance comes from within. And the leaves, devoid of that energy and attention, simply fall away on their own accord.  They are released to dance in the wind and land where they may.



I imagine the spirit of the tree offering a prayer of gratitude to the leaves as the wind carries them:

"Beloved leaves:  thank you so much for bringing in the sun for the past 6 months. thank you for offering shade to those who rested by my side.  Thank you for the life force that was once part of you, and is now part of me.  Our time together has ended, and  I love you immensely for what we shared. As I withdraw and turn inward, you are free to fly."

And then, I imagine myself offering the same prayer of gratitude to the addictions in my life:



Dear Coffee:  Thank you so much for greeting me every morning.  But, I am sleeping and exercising more now, so I no longer need you to feel alive.  I love you, but I withdraw from you and release you from my life.

Dear Sugar:  Thank you so much for your sweet deliciousness.  I've decided to focus on new ways to fill my life with pleasure.  I love you, probably always will, but I withdraw from you and release you from my life. 

(Note to self: just because you will miss something, does NOT mean it's good for you. Or that you're  supposed to have it.  Repeat three times and click your heels.) Which brings me to...

Dear Lover: Thank you for your gentle touch, and for healing parts of me I did not know needed healing. But my focus is different now.   As I withdraw and turn inward, you are free to fly. 

I say this silent prayer to all of my bad habits and addictions: my work addiction, my overparenting addiction, my curious addiction to chocolate covered caramel pretzels (seriously?!??! yup. Don't judge me).  I acknowledge the purpose that each has served me, and realign with the integrity at the core of my being. I challenge myself to let go without struggle, with an effort towards grace and ease.

I've discovered that letting go with ease ain't easy!  Here's what's supporting my mission in my medicine cabinet:


Exhale Flower Essence Blend by Elementals,  a composite blend that includes:

Sagebrush Flower Essence:
Sagebrush helps us to clear out and let go of anything that no longer serves us.  It brings to our awareness what we should let go of- from clutter to relationships- and helps us to take actions to break those ties.

Willow Flower Essence  
Willow allows us to let go of bitterness and resentment, so that our hearts can open and expand with new life and new love. As we release past hurts, we take fuller responsibility for our own actions and lessons.

Walnut Flower Essence
Walnut flower essence supports us we break away from old habits and establish new patterns.  It helps us to navigate change while we hold on to our center, and align with what is right and true for ourselves.

Music:
I've had my "Withdrawal Syndrome" yoga playlist on repeat, with songs from Massive Attack, Erykah Badu, Mobb Deep, Solange, James Bay and more.  Click here to enjoy on Spotify!

May your Fall season find you moving with integrity from the core of your being, letting all that's extraneous fall away- with ease, grace, and your blessings.

love and light,

Lindsay









2 comments:

  1. I love you Lindsay! Thanks for sharing and can't wait for your book <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you made a Playlist to support the letting go. Thank you for these at prayers and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete