Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Why this Black History Month was the best EVER....







This was, without a doubt, the best Black History Month I've had in a long, long time.   Usually, my Februarys are filled with generalized snarkiness about it being the shortest month of the year, redundant black history trivia, and competing Valentine's Day grumpiness..  but February 2016?  oh 2016...   you got us ready for some REAL conversations about race.  Here's what rocked my world this month in Black History:

#1. Birth of a Nation at Sundance
Birth of a Nation, a new film produced by Nate Parker, broke the internet this month when it was awarded a record setting $17.5 million distribution deal after sweeping the awards at Sundance.  The folks that I know who are connected to the film have been in the trenches, supporting real change as it relates to institutional racism, so this is a big win for ALL of us.  Why else am I so excited about this film??  Because it is about Nat Turner, a freedom fighter who led a rebellion of slaves and free blacks.  So many of Hollywood's dipictions of slavery and the aftermath (aka the present) are demoralizing.  I'm looking forward to a movie that shows us fighting back for once- for our lives, for our families, and for our future.  Rumor has it that Birth of a Nation will be released theatrically this October, and I can't wait.

# 2.  Beyonce's Formation
My girlfriend and I joked that forever more, February 7th shall be known as Beyonce Day.  Let's face it- her execution was perfect:  BAM! new video, which is a straight-up celebration of southern Black culture. BAM! Superbowl Black Panther-inspired 'badassiness' (yes, it's a word).  BAM! Tour announcement, including her and hubby's donation of a gazillion dollars to #blacklivesmatter and Flint.  And then a few weeks later... BAM! Beyonce drops a mini doc on racial injustice.

I've been a fan since way back when, but Formation took it to the next level for me.  For one, I can't stop singing "I dream hard, I work hard, I grind till i own it" while doing the dance from the video.  All day.    For two, I also 'like my baby hair with baby hair in afros'.  In this foreign land of weaves and extensions,  and it feels really GOOD to have a 'black and proud ' song that beats with the pulse of this generation.    But most importantly, I love the controversy- and dialogue-  Formation has stirred.   The video and its varied reactions has opened the door for me to have conversations about race with colleagues and girlfriends that I didn't even know were waiting to happen.  Well played, Queen Bey.
  

#3. Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes
After watching Formation with my daughter, she had LOTS of questions.  Given the current political climate,  she understood the messaging of the boy dancing in front of the police line, and the "stop shooting us" plea.   But the police car in the flood?  The sinking buildings?  That required a longer conversation about Hurricane Katrina and the racial, socio-economic, and political injustices that surrounded it.   Insert Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes.  This historical fiction breathes life into Lanesha, a 12- year old ninth ward resident that must call on her faith, courage and spirituality to help her family survive the storm. Spoiler alert:  there's a chilling scene towards the end of the book when Lanesha, on her roof after the storm, sees a helicopter passing her overhead.  Followed by her slow realization that no one is coming to help. She, like so many families, is left to help herself.




#4. Kendrick Lamar on the Grammys
This month, Kendrick SMASHED the Grammys with his performance of "the Blacker the Berry" and "Alright".  Now, Kendrick is my celebrity crush, so i'm predisposed to like what ever comes out of his mouth.  But that performance? From the lyrics, the set design, costumes, and choreography, my mind was blown.  Yuuuup, 'we gonna be alright!!! ' If you missed it, you can check out the performance here.

#5.  Eclipsed on Broadway
I have been blessed to see quite a few amazing shows on Broadway.   But I have never seen ANYTHING like Eclipsed, which opened for previews on Broadway last week.   I was holding my heart and crying audibly within the first ten minutes.   I also laughed.  I related.  I was was enraptured with- for two whole hours- the melodic song of African dialect.  Eclipsed tells the story of five women during the Liberian Civil War, was about about so much more than this oft neglected part of history.  It was about patriarchy, about loving fiercely, about protecting ourselves, about taking a stand, about finding our way, about fear, about acceptance, and about survival.  Lupita was phenomenal, and the entire five women cast was equally mind-blowing.  I am forever changed, and look forward to seeing more from playwright Danai Gurira.



 #6. #blackgirlmagic
 I believe all women are magic.  It's simply our birthright.  And...  I am a black woman raising a black girl.  And let me tell you, even in 2016, it's HARD to convince her that she is in fact, magic.   That her magic does not have to come with an "even black girls can be.... " in comparison to some previously established white magic norm.  Like fairies. or Superheros.  or Princesses.  Case in point:  When I explained that princesses do not have to look like Elsa or Belle- my brilliant 9 year old told me  in her matter-of-fact tone that  "Tiana is not really a princess, she's just married to a prince.  She's really a cook".  WTF???   Well, thank you Disney.  le sigh.  See what I'm working with here? What we're working with?  See why we need #blackgirlmagic?

 It has been so fun to show her examples of black girls making things happen that are... cool.   They've got SWAG.   They are not princesses. Nope!  They are astronauts, and 10 year old fashion designers, and gymnasts doing the Nae Nae.   They are regulating everywhere from the courts to entertainment. I am teaching my daughter that a world that 'sees no color' is not the goal,  because it loses the power of celebrating and honoring the distinct differences that each of us bring to the table.  Including and especially, our black girl magic.

#7.  Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes
Speaking of #blackgirlmagic...   Let me lead with this- Grey's Anatomy got me through 3.5 years of acupuncture school and helped me pass my board exams.   Though I have often turned a side eye to Shonda's portrayals of love on Scandal, Greys, and HTGAWM, you have to admit, she's killing it right now.   Her memoire gives a behind the scenes look at her decision to say Yes for a Year, and what it means to be F.O.D (first, only, different) in her field.  As she eloquently states, not diversifying, but   normalizing prime time TV.  Let me tell you, this book is funny.   So funny that I had to stop reading it in public, because you can't laugh yourself to tears and snot rockets on the subway without someone questioning your sanity.


#8.  My feature in the Flower Essence Society International Journal
Then this happened.  I said "yes" and  I got my own little piece of black girl magic.  My own little shine.  This month I was featured in Flower Essence Society's International Journal, where I was interviewed about my work integrating flower essences and acupuncture, and my "magic and medicine' approach to healing.  For those of you who know me well, you know that the book I have been writing for the past year is very much about honoring the shamanic, magical lineage out of which my work emerges.  I am because we are.  So, even though I feel shy sharing the article with all of you, I am following Shonda's advice and standing in the sun!



#9 Flower essences in Vogue and Newsday
Now here you might be wondering...  What the heck does this have to do with Black History Month?  Let me explain.  Dr. Edward Bach is the man that is credited with introducing flower essences to the West.   But harnessing the energetic healing properties of plants?  It's an ancient art.  Indidenous people around the world have- since basically, FOREVER- used plant medicine for healing along multiple planes of existence.  My first real experience with the magic of flower essences happened about 15 years ago, during my trip to the Gambia, West Africa.   As I relaxed under a glorious tree, it whispered to me, "Careful.. you know I'm posionous!"  A few minutes later, my marital arts teacher came outside and warned me of the tree's poison.   I'm beyond excited that our ancient, indigenous practices of communing with nature for healing are finally gaining some popularity.  Though misrepresented by comparing them to Prozac, still, it's a start.

#10.  Black History Month Showcase
Last but not least, the Black History Month Showcase at my daughters school rocked my world.   There's a strange thing happening in Brooklyn public schools that not a lot of people are talking about.  Neighborhoods are gentrifying, but playgrounds are still pretty segregated (correction: the parents are sitting on different benches, while the kids happily play.  usually.  sometimes.)  As parents, we are in the challenging position of teaching our kids about racism, while acknowledging that they are growing up in a different world.  A world made smaller by Facebook and Google.  A world that will be better if they can understand the history of racism and challenge the institutions that perpetuate it. We are wrestling with this, and sometimes not so gracefully.

Seeing my daughter in the front row of a sea of over 200 third graders, dressed all in black, singing
(the song Powerful from the show Empire) gave me a glimpse into that world.

"This is an era for change 
Malcolm's probably turning in his grave...
Every shade was beautifully made-
And powerful!
There's so much strength in you and me
Powerful
A breath away from victory
I matter
You matter
We matter, all..."

It was a sophisticated, inclusive, age-appropriate nod to the #blacklivesmatter movement. Malcolm and Martin's quotes presented side by side with equal respect.  A celebration of African -American inventors, artists, and change makers who have shaped history. And a glimpse of a new generation ready to pick up the torch. In Brooklyn.  In Flint.  In Ferguson.  And all over the world.

Yup, we gonna be alright. 

Honorable Mentions:  Boycotting the Oscars, releasing Stacey Dash from her blackness, Melissa Harris-Perry taking a stand against her network, and so much more.

What made your BHM 2016?  What opened up discussions about race for you this February?  Share in the comments below!






No comments:

Post a Comment