Sunday, September 9, 2012

Spirit of Autumn (pt. 1): Find Your Flow



This morning I noticed that the leaves on the tree outside my window have started to change.  And even though it feels like summer just started, there's nothing like Labor Day weekend and back to school sales to let you know that its time to bid farewell to the Summer days. School is back in session, and for many, summer hours at work come to an end and a new fiscal year begins.


As you can see in the diagram, the summer represents the most Yang time of year.  In the

summer, energy is high as we head outdoors, and indulge in the fun and joys of life.  But Autumn marks the time in the cycle when the energy begins to shift downward and inward, returning to the Yin of time and space-conditioned Earth.  This is why the Fall is a great time for creating new schedules,  routines, and organization.




I'll be perfectly honest.  Last year I missed this golden opportunity for change and I was a hot mess the entire school year!  Between juggling full-time school, building my practice, and being an overtime mommy, I always felt overwhelmed and overextended, like i was constantly losing a race against time.   I felt more and more chaotic as the neglected housework and laundry pile grew and grew.   Looking for school uniforms and something to wear to work made my mornings even more hectic and impossible.  Dinner was on the table late, and I often passed out exhausted trying to put my daughter to sleep (not a great idea if you're in a relationship). Only to wake up and start the whole circus again the next morning. 

This year I vowed to make a change- I would not be the crazy, stressed out woman I was last year.   I needed a system.  I needed organization. I needed order and peace in my home. 


So I had to take stock by asking myself a few simple questions:

*
What part of the day felt the most hectic?  Was it the morning, the evenings, or both? 

* Where was I losing time?  Standing in front of the cabinets wandering what to cook?  Wasting time on Facebook?  

* What were the things that were missing?
  Time to workout, study, or connect with my partner and friends?





Then I did some research by talking to others about their routines and what worked for them. I learned that I had to exercise my co-creative Goddess power by assigning a time and space for everything I wanted to make happen! Here are my favorite back to school & work tips I've gathered from friends and family to help you find your flow this Fall: 
 

1)  Plan & Prep Your Meals 
I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop cooking mid-meal to run to the corner store for a missing ingredient.  Or how many times I've had to abandon cooking all together and order take out- I'm just not the "I can whip something up" kind of girl.   Turns out that planning your meals- including lunches- at the beginning of the week saves a lot of time, money, and anxiety. Make a list of what you will need for the meals you've planned, and do all of your prep work at the beginning of the week (dice those veggies and onions and seal them in containers so all you have to do is cooking).  You'll be surprised how having an agenda helps your evenings flow better.



2) Casserole It Up 
I have several girlfriends who make 1 or 2 casseroles on Sunday so that all they have to do during the week is pop them in the oven for 30-40 minutes- time that can be used to help with homework, respond to emails,  or throw (not literally) your little ones in the tub.  If
you're tired of lasagna, try these creative casserole recipes!


3) Lay Out Your Clothes
Most people fall into one of two categories: some wake up with a burst of creative energy that is channeled into perfectly coordinating clothes, shoes and accessories. Then there are those who work with whatever they've got (which often involves frantically pulling everything out of the drawer looking for that shirt you thought was clean or that belt you wore last week).  If your morning stress comes from figuring out what to wear, try to lay out your clothes for the week on Sunday, or at least the night before.  Get everything you need ironed, pick out the jewelry you love and hang it all together.  Of course this doesn't have to be set in stone, but having a basic plan can cut down the morning crazies!




4) Start Your Day with Inspiration  
Rushing out of the house yelling "WE"RE LATE!" is
no way to start the day- believe me I know.  But starting the day with inspiration is a
wonderful way to say yes to life and to open yourself to its abundant blessings.  Before you wake the kids, jump in the shower, or check Facebook, allow yourself 10-15 minutes to get clear, centered and focused. Read a paragraph or two from your favorite spiritual text or book, draw an affirmation card for the day,
write in your journal, listen to Abraham Hicks on YouTube, play a favorite song, or simply enjoy a cup of tea.  If the thought of waking up 10 minutes earlier for a morning ritural makes your head hurt, consider Morning Glory flower essences to help you rise and shine!
  
5) Stick to Your Guns
Starting a new schedule and getting the whole family on board is no easy task.  I am not ashamed to admit that for the first two weeks (ok... we're now up to three weeks) of school I paid my daughter $1 for every night she fell asleep before 8:30pm.  It was the best $5 I spent all week!  now that I'm in the rhythm of it, I sooooo enjoy the evening hours of me-time to study, reconnect with my partner, write, watch Scandal on Hulu, etc.  

So stick to your guns- if you have a schedule you think will work for you, keep going at it until everyone else in the household shares your vision and knows that you mean
business.  Don't worry if you have an off day- just pick up your new routine the next day.  Before you know it, your new schedule will flow like clockwork.  
Walnut Flower

Sidenote:  Walnut flower essence is a great flower essence for helping you to adjust to new routines- and is great for children (and partners ;-) as well. 


What are some tricks you've come up with to help your evenings and mornings flow better? 

No comments:

Post a Comment